warp and woof: canadian travels
Most weavings during this research visit will go on the new blog. I may post on here if there are things that fit more with the bigger tapestry than specific to the trip.
I've also set up a flickr to play a slideshow on the other blog - although still having trouble getting a reliable display of image location.
In keeping with the theme of warp and woof I've been musing about other weaving, stitching, sewing terms. I like the idea of a consistent metaphor for the travels. So having a wander round the web to see what comes up.
Here's a scatter of what's found so far:
warp and woof
* interesting reference as a term describing the economy here
* I like this definition of w&w as "A distinctive, complex underlying pattern or structure", - absolutely!
* contexture, fabric, fiber, texture, web
woven
fabric
loom
cloth
spun
network
intricacy of pattern
interconnection of elements
yarn
reel
skein
skein winder
crochet
knit
knot
felt
sew
stitch
embroider
tapestry (weft-faced weaving, with warp threads hidden out of sight)
weave
applique
plain weave, satin weave, twill
textile sources: animal, plant, mineral, synthetic
weft (aka woof) horizontal threads, interlaced through the warp, the fill, (and in hair extensions, the bit glued on!)
I'm also thinking about the structure of the blog - given that it's a blogger template there's limits on how I can filter, but at least a few menu options and tag streams will focus in from the 'all posts' home page default.
I'm going to use a select word cloud for this blog (usually I leave everything in as it's useful for me), so which tags will work well to both give a realistic impression of what's covered on the blog and also act as the filtering mechanism for specific theme streams?
place: banff, vancouver, toronto, winnipeg, calgary
project: tbc, geoartcache, gatherer, diary
media: colour grid, film, locative, paper, etc
program: on the commons, ivsa, clean, tbc, tbc
theory/concept: time, space, inter, environmental, social, political, aesthetic,
investigation: play, reflect, improvise, sense, journey,
That's a start! Of course the challenge is that tag stream headers will only cope with one word to find, so the tag streams need a separate unique id e.g. griddiary, gridcache, gridcommons.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment