Links for a rainy day (in need of updating!) ... use side bar tag cloud and archive to navigate.

Tuesday, 17 December 2013

Fosse Park Recreation Ground

Winter light.
I have come to love this park over the period of time I've been coming here.
Found something ancient to connect with.
perhaps this image has a glimpse, in the winter sunlight streaming through trees.
Peaceful today, birds sing, only dog walkers and their dynamics interject my pace.
Something vital, in the circle of trees like standing stones, gossiping women, dog walkers, a gaggle of crones, or guardians watching over the park.
In the summer it's full with people picnicking, barbecue smoke fills the air, footballers, children playing, old people sit on benches, often alone; young men sit on benches, often with beer in their hand; young couples sit on benches, with an aura of their own that may smile, hide or deny a glimpse with the passer by.
Often I come here with my dogs. One loves the city, so many people and dog friends to greet. The other prefers to chase squirrels, play stick, but over time she has learnt to be easier here.
A little the same and a little different to me.
The West Country woods are my home, but I have found a home here; and truly home is where I am this day and where I will stay this night. That can be close or far away.
Something soft, strong and sap like has touched me in this park, as I have come to feel the sun and the frost, the squelchy mud and rustling leaves, the smell of the first fresh cut grass, the sounds of the city held just enough at bay to hear the sounds of space. My own sounds. The sounds of those I meet. The sounds of the dog running to greet another. The sound of footsteps, fireworks when the time is right. (Often for too long around bonfire night when the dogs take a fright!)
And it is hear that I have made my own explorations with the research of my phd, tracking my meetings with two particular trees, making colour grids each time around. Though not every time, and often months go by.
And now I feel it's time to acknowledge this park. It's ancientness, that connects me with the land, albeit through the light and trees. And it's contemporariness, that gathers people together, serves a purpose, and I feel when I walk here in the evenings and the park is often home to small groups of people speaking other languages, whom, perhaps have finished for the evening after a long day and come to relax in the park for a beer and chat, I imagine they too are connecting with some kind of feeling if home. Perhaps another park in another place, perhaps cultures and communities in other countries. It seems to bring them peace. I make presumptions, paint a picture from my limited point of view, yet this is me and my enjoyment of the park. Others may have other points of view. Some do not even come here at all, having fear for what they might befall. To them, an invitation, to encourage them to the park. You can find something to smile here, if you choose!

So here is my colour grid for the park. I have a vision someday that all the park could sway with colour grids vibrating in the wind, like garlands, bunting, prayer flags; moments realised. An invitation for all the streets around t come, to create their own, to share their moment with the wind and sun and earth, grass, trees, benches, playground, lamp posts, path.

To see the grid in full - animated playback - with text, in the hunter gatherer online gallery, visit http://blip.im/g/cv

Colour Grid 1000712 fp park 

No comments:

Post a Comment