Links for a rainy day (in need of updating!) ... use side bar tag cloud and archive to navigate.

Thursday, 4 December 2014

Testing 'Sound Sky'

Sound Sky is a web-based and locative artwork created for Christchurch, New Zealand by sound artist and musician Halsey Burgund (US) with Trudy Lane (NZ). http://soundsky.org/ and https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sound-sky/id791263368?mt=8
Halsey uses an opensource, distributed framework called Roundware that he has developed for his other locative audio walks and sonic journals. Trudy Lane is part of the House of Wonder and Wonderlogues (what a wonderful name!) and is Programme Producer at Intercreate (with whom Nina Czegledy is international research fellow.. small?/interconnected world)

Having heard about Sound Sky through the WAN jiscmail group, I'm testing the iphone app v. 0.6.0 (updated 10 Oct 14) on a 6S running IOS 8.1.1 [acc'd 4/12/14] (more about the publisher and platform in this blogpost)

  

    

Having downloaded the iphone app I'm clearly not in Christchurch NZ so am only offered the option to listen to a sample of the sound work - rather than a location-responsive soundtrack as I imagine would be played were I in that place. No indication of how the track may differ or what would trigger changes within it (speed? direction? time of day/night? gps only?)


Listening mode offers 'filters' for the sounds I wish to hear - past present and future. The demo seems to contain listenable but rather anonymous cliched electronic ambience, and reducing filters ( unticking filter options to leave a single timeframe playing) seems only to remove some of those extended chords - no change in ambience or style. Perhaps, I hope, these are filler sounds waiting for more live content to be uploaded and layered over, gradually replacing the contemporary anonymity with more rich and vivacious material?

  

  

   

However, despite my remote proximity I am still able to add an audio contribution, with some interesting category prompts and options to add photo and text also available... On uploading I can share by upload by the usual various social media. The link emailed to myself opens up a webpage but sadly the item (audio file) is unavailable to play, and the text I added is not shown - only my location when uploading. 


I look forward to revisiting the website when it's up and running. Very usable app interface, and looks like the makings of an excellent project subject to the real-life challenges of engaging creative participants. I'll be interested to learn more about the proposed workshops and arts festival elements of the project if they're added to the website.


No comments:

Post a Comment