Decided to go minimal and just collect single words and gps.
But now i'm thinking which device to use, whether to mark points that words 'occur' and whether to take photos etc, I need a bit more form.
Why single words? Possibly an influence in-part is from watching Eat Pray Love at the cinema last night (and reading the end of it just a few days before). Traverrissimo (?) Italian: cross over
So what would be the word of each part of the walk? Is that too different in scale from a country's word, city's word, or person's word?
Then I think about the words being put together - maybe they make some sort of poem, visual or linear.
Then about distance do I want to mark the gps point, that's like an observational duration. Or equidistant on the map/walk/route, as a spatial duration? Then I think of haiku, rhythm, rhythm, interruption, repetition, pace, interjection, collated words.
So maybe the rhythm of haiku could inform the distance - but the route is not yet known, or the temporal duration - informing the locations by time, not distance.
"Haiku (俳句 haikai verse)
So, if i perhaps measure my walk in 17 sections - how about 2 minutes each - and then set an alarm for each of those, would i generate a word each alarm, and a walk from that. Or should I consider syllables, not words. But really it was a rythm I was after, a sense of something shorter, something longer, parts making a whole.
Let's try weighting the 5s as 2.5 and the 7s as 3.5, so words will be gathered at 2.5, 5, 7.5, 10, 12.5, 16,19.5, 23, 26.5, 30, 33.5, 37, 39.5, 42, 44.5, 47, 49.5 minutes. Yep, 49.5 seems a good place to reach. I know I should find out a lot more about haiku forms if I want to use it seriously, but really this is just a way to take some other kind of intermittence and use it to create a structure for the walk's traces. It could be a piece of music - note-length in a bar from the four seasons, this is very much autumn today - gold sun, cool fresh air, warm earth, changing trees.
To the woods...
*Seeing the post below, I like that map so much I just might have to do an overview colour grid as well, to hold it all together!...*


No comments:
Post a Comment